Re: Introduction to GEGL Buffers

So you are suggesting to parallelize the Gimp image operation means that multiple GEGL processes should run at the same time. So currently the GEGL has graph manipulation and then the rendering. I am not sure how you tried to split the rendering from graph manipulation. Dou you mean to say that curretnly Gimp first processes the graph and then renders the whole of the image afterwards. So if I get a clear overview then what I feel that this thing is much different than the GPU thing as here the parallelization is needed at much higher level and just very below the Gimp interface infact on the interface the things should be parallel threaded. Am I correct??

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Øyvind Kolås <islewind@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Nicolas Robidoux
> Dear Utkarsh:
>
> I was talking about CPU multi-threading, that is, using multi-cores,
> e.g.
>
> http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Benchmarks#Results_in_detail
>
> And unfortunately, I am swamped, and consequently, I basically can't
> help.
>
> I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that GEGL does not multi-thread
> as of now.

This is correct. GEGL has been designed to paralellize the rendering
work-load and most of this architecture is in place. At an earlier
stage when I initially tried this I had some locking issues and
decided to discontinue that development at the time instead of
destabilizing GEGL.

The first attempt was to split out the actual rendering from the graph
manipulation, this would already be a great benefit for instance for
GIMP since it means GEGL processing would happen in the background and
be non-blocking.

After that is working, multiple GeglProcessors should be used
concurrently (instead of just one working serially through chunks of
the output image like it is now). Exchange of data should happen as
extensions to the GeglBuffer architecture.

/Øyvind K.
                                                -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/

--