Re: Introduction to GEGL Buffers

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Nicolas Robidoux
<nrobidoux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Utkarsh:
>
> I was talking about CPU multi-threading, that is, using multi-cores,
> e.g.
>
> http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Benchmarks#Results_in_detail
>
> And unfortunately, I am swamped, and consequently, I basically can't
> help.
>
> I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that GEGL does not multi-thread
> as of now.

This is correct. GEGL has been designed to paralellize the rendering
work-load and most of this architecture is in place. At an earlier
stage when I initially tried this I had some locking issues and
decided to discontinue that development at the time instead of
destabilizing GEGL.

The first attempt was to split out the actual rendering from the graph
manipulation, this would already be a great benefit for instance for
GIMP since it means GEGL processing would happen in the background and
be non-blocking.

After that is working, multiple GeglProcessors should be used
concurrently (instead of just one working serially through chunks of
the output image like it is now). Exchange of data should happen as
extensions to the GeglBuffer architecture.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/