Re: Area filters

Hi Kurt,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Kurt Pruenner <leak@xxxxxx> wrote:
> David Gowers wrote:
>> Offhand, I cannot think of any way to employ mirroring abyss
>> behaviour at all. Are there any?
>
> When coloring stuff I often create a black/white layer using the
> paintbrush and smear tools to add shading, and then blur it to smooth it
> out even more.
>
> If there's one thing I don't want in this case is for the edges to
> become transparent or change their value much. In that case, mirroring
> probably would be the best option...

For your usage, I'd like to know why you think mirroring is better
than extending (GIMP calls it smearing -- pixels beyond the border are
treated as the nearest pixel on the border.).
With mirroring, supposing that you have pixels like:
(B = Black, G = Grey, W = White)
 BBBGGWW on the right border of the image,
  the result of blurring would be like BBBGGWG (hello weird-colored pixel!)
whereas with extending,
  the result would be like BBBGGWW.

Incidentally, looking at the above, I realize why Daniel says
mirroring is good for photos; it treats texture on and near the edges
better, which would be good in nearly every case (the major exception
being when you're trying to make a texture out of part of a photo --
extend or tile make more sense then!)

David