Re: Operations that I require

On 5/8/07, Mark Probst <mark.probst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to implement a B/W processing application using Gegl,
> similar to my B/W Photoshop workflow:
>
>   http://schani.wordpress.com/2006/05/23/my-digital-bw-workflow/
>
> There are several operations that I need which, as far as I can tell
> (I'm completely new to Gegl), are not supported, directly or
> indirectly:
>
> * Channel Mixer.  What it does is it generates a B/W image out of a
> color image by calculating a weighted sum of the color channels.

There is no real equivalent to a Channel Mixer operation at the moment.

> * Gradient curves.  I want to give the user a curve control to modify
> the contrast of the image, like the "Curve" filter in GIMP/Photoshop.

There is no curves control either, the closest would be levels. Both
of these are point operations and would live in the
gegl/operations/color/ dir. The Channel Mixer is probably the one that
would be easiest to implement.

For a curves operation the main issue is how to pass the curve to the
operation, there currently is no operations in GEGL that take an array
of values as a parameter; thus you should probably bypass the
gegl-chant mechanisms and write all the needed boilerplate yourself
gegl/color/remap.c is an example of one operation that does this for
other reasons.
When it comes to how an array of values are best expressed, there
probably are some examples in GIMP plug-ins.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/