segfaults (after the most important things have happened as they
should). Could you do a backtrace with gdb?

I did, after hard-coding the output filename so I didn't get all that stuff on standard out and didn't have to deal with redirecting. The result:

#0  0x4002bbb7 in void_tile () from /opt/gimp-2.3.4/lib/libgegl-1.0.so.2

Looked a little bit closer. It turns out that the tile parameter passed
to void_tile() is NULL, which causes the segmentation violation when
trying to access tile->data. If I add a NULL check at the top of the
void_tile function:
   if (tile == NULL) {
      return TRUE;
   }
then add-test runs successfully. Adding a counter tells me that the
void_tile function is called 72 times in add_test with a NULL tile
parameter.

I don't know if any of this information is useful, but I'm just
providing it on the off chance it gives you a hint of what's going on.

I looked into more detail into the problem with the anim.c. The error message that I get is:

** (process:22391): WARNING **: gegl_node_set_valist:OpNop has no property named: 'x'

When I remove the "x" and "y" properties from OpNop ("no operation"?), I again get a segfault, with the following backtrace:

#0  0x4002bbb7 in void_tile () from /opt/gimp-2.3.4/lib/libgegl-1.0.so.2

This seems to be the same problem as the one above. With the NULL check
in place, ANIM runs (very slowly). In this case, void_tile is called
3109 times with a NULL tile parameter.

The multi-gegl test doesn't run at all. Running it in gdb gives:

   Starting program: /data/src/gegl/gegl-demo/multi-gegl
   [New Thread 16384 (LWP 20034)]

   [Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 20034)]
   0x00000000 in ?? ()

and backtrace gives: