Re: [Gegl-developer] Tile sizes...

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" <gwidion@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was just wondering...tiles sed in the GIMP are 64x64 bit right?

Right. It's defined in a single place though. If you want to play with
other sizes, give it a try. The only problem is that you won't be able
to read XCF files you've written with a GIMP compiled with other tile
sizes. With some effort this could be handled in the XCF routines
though.

> I suppose that is the default value for GEGL as well.

I don't think there's a tile-based pixel storage module in GEGL yet
but it was planned to add that. I might be wrong though.

> So here are my questions: when was this sized picked up?
> Is it machinne dependant? (I mean, one thing are the 486's from when
> the GIMP came into existence, other thing are today's Pentium IV, and
> another thing will be tomorrow 1024bitUltraWideX Cell-Quantum-Laser
> Microprocessors.

So what? I mean how is the CPU type related to the tile size? Well, I
know there are relations but I think that it is up to you to explain
them to us. After all it's you who brought this topic up again.

BTW, I've played with other tile sizes some months ago and came to the
conclusion that 64x64 is still a reasonable choice.

Sven