Re: Crash when cross compiling for ARM with GCC-8-2-0 and -ftree-loop-distribute-patterns

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 02:07:37PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> But Umm... Honestly, this solution looks pretty wired to me.
>
> When the compiler decides to replace code by a call to some function,
> shouldn't it make sure not to replace _all_ occurences of such code (and thus
> the final implementation of it) also?

That would be ideal of course, but how can the compiler know?

> > This is just one of those gotchas that you have to be aware of when
> > implementing the standard library.
>
> I am not implementing the standard library. I am just trying to get rid of
> it. I need just a couple of functions from the stdlib, and I was happy with
> simple/lightwight re-implementations of those functions for decades.

memset is a reserved name.  If you use it you are implementing part of
the standard library (except when using -ffreestanding, but GCC has an
exception there).

Segher