Re: Crash when cross compiling for ARM with GCC-8-2-0 and -ftree-loop-distribute-patterns

On 17/10/2019 15:04, Josef Wolf wrote:
Tahnks for your help, Matthias!

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 02:37:11PM +0200, Matthias Pfaller wrote:

Have a look at "arm-eabi-objdump -S -d main.elf". Sometimes this is
quite revealing.

Yeah.

Are you using openocd or something similar for debugging?

Yes. Openocd with gdb.

You are compiling for a cortex-m0/3/4?

Cortex-m3

Are you single stepping through the complete startup sequence or do set a
break point ath the top of memset (i.e. are break points working at all)?

Breakpoints are working. But there is only a limited set of hardware
breakpoints (four, AFAIR).

Interrupts are still disabled?

There are no interrupt sources enabled yet. But I wonder why the CPU is not
starting up with disabled IRQs? I am new to the ARM architecture, but every
other architecture I know of would come out from reset with disabled
interrupts... I'd expect BASEPRI and PRIMASK to be set to sane values before
the first instruction is executed?

Anyway, explicitly calling __set_PRIMASK(1) did also not help, although
primask ist still set when the processor crashes.

Why is the stack pointer so low at this point of execution? Using
0x20018000-0x20017d20 == 0x2e0 bytes of stack seems a little excessive
for just one call.

Ah!... Looks like you've spotted the problem! Actually, the SP is decremented
on every cycle of the loop:

   (gdb) disass
   Dump of assembler code for function memset:
      0x08001008 <+0>:    push {r4, lr}
      0x0800100a <+2>:    mov  r4, r0
      0x0800100c <+4>:    cbz  r2, 0x8001014 <memset+12>
   => 0x0800100e <+6>:    uxtb r1, r1
      0x08001010 <+8>:    bl   0x8001008 <memset>
      0x08001014 <+12>:   mov  r0, r4
      0x08001016 <+14>:   pop  {r4, pc}
   End of assembler dump.

This looks REALLY suspicous to me. Every cycle of the loop in memset() is
pushing something onto the stack?!?

Without the  -ftree-loop-distribute-patterns option, the memset() function
looks entirely different:

          cbz    r2, <memset+18>
          add    r2, r0
          subs   r2, #1
          uxtb   r1, r1
          subs   r3, r0, #1
   <+10>: strb.w r1, [r3, #1]!
          cmp    r3, r2
          bne.n  <memset+10>
   <+18>: bx     lr

I usually start toggling output lines when I'm stuck like this...

?

The compiler has spotted that you've written something that acts like memset and optimized it into a function call to memset. So now you're recursing to oblivion. Try adding -fno-builtin-memset to your compile options.

R.