Re: about gcc native on Microsoft Windows

On 9/25/2019 8:43 AM, Tamar Christina wrote:
You can also just build using the same pkgbuilds that mingw-w64 use
https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-gcc for GCC 9 and https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-gcc-git for trunk builds.

However if you're just after getting binaries and not really developing GCC you can just get the latest builds from the pacman repo of mingw-w64 http://repo.msys2.org/mingw/ You need to get all the different components. For a working native C & C++ toolchain you'll need at least the following packages crt-git, winpthreads-git, headers-git, libwinpthread-git, zlib, isl, mpfr, gmp, binutils, libidn2-2, gcc, mpc, gcc-libs.

Extracting them together in the same destination will install them in the right places. If you don't mind using msys2 then you can just do `pacman -Sy gcc` to get the latest one. If you get an older version than 9.2 then you need to update your msys2 install before that and then you'll get the latest.

OK, but all of that seems much work and many headaches compared to using MSYS2, the 'build' script and instructions at https://github.com/niXman/mingw-builds/tree/develop, which allows the end-user to build any version of mingw-w64/gcc from 4.6.4 through 9.2.0 with whatever configuration the user likes. It is not always that an end user needs to get only the very latest implementation of mingw-w64/gcc, and I certainly don't want to worry about having a whole bunch of pacman packages just so I can have mingw-w64/gcc whatever for myself. Nonetheless each to their own.

Once I was able to build mingw-w64/gcc versions using MSYS and the 'build' script on the web page above I was satisfied. Of course the official mingw-w64-install.exe at https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/latest/download does install a large number of mingw-w64/gcc releases but this has been stopped for new releases so the script I mention is definitely the way to go for me.

BTW top-posting in newsgroups is considered bad etiquette.

Regards,
Tamar