plugin: modify attribute arguments inside plugin

I would like to code a plugin, that would count the number of accesses to a field of some C struct. That struct would be marked with __attribute__((access_count)). When handling that attribute, I would like to assign an index to it (as an attribute argument), so that I can update the proper element of my counter array, when there is a COMPONENT_REF with a marked struct as the target.

But attribute arguments are normally passed by the user, can the plugin change them, and how? Juts checking that argument would be simpler and faster than looking for the target's name (in a hashtable, or just an ordered array if there aren't going to be so many tracked structs)
and getting an index from that.