Re: mlock in cache

On 08/02/2013 05:38 PM, Brian Budge wrote:

Can I naively ask what the purpose is of forcing this data to be in
cache all the time?  If you use the data often enough for this to be
useful, it will already be in cache. If you don't, you benefit by
having it not be in cache.
Many specific reasons. For example, if you want to tackle cold boot attacks on cryptographic keys you can either put you keys on some registers (there is a related implementation named tresor) or you can hide it the cache for example and force the opponent to dump the whole memory and synchronize
the cache with the memory (which some times might not be possible).

However, I generally consider the question of high academic interest.

--
Christos Tsopokis