Help building shared library: EXPORT preprocessor definition

Hello,

It's been a little while for me, I want to build a shared library and
define an "EXPORT" preprocessor symbol that is ubiquitous whether I am
including the same headers for the shared library project, or for
projects depending on the shared library.

Doubtful this will need to go cross-platform, but I've got examples
what the attributes and/or declspecs need to be one way or the other.
Just need a little help sorting out the preprocessor wiring.

Prior experience tells me that this is usually done in the same EXPORT
symbol, or at least that's what I've seen in projects through Visual
Studio. I've also seen examples that define an EXPORT and an IMPORT,
but then we have the trickiness needing potentially two sets of
includes.

Perhaps also I need to define a preprocessor symbol in the shared
library(ies) themselves to tell the build whether it is exporting or
importing symbols.

Thank you,

Regards,

Michael Powell