Build for multi-platform

Hi,

We would like our build system (either a dedicated server or development
machines) to be able to build our system for multiple targets,
specifically 32-bit and 64-bit variants. Our system has several
dependancies on third party open source packages.

>From experiments conducted, I know it's possible to build stand-alone
applications (.exe) for both 32-bit and 64-bit provided the dependencies
are there. Our preference is to not have both packages for both 32-bit and
64-bit installed on all development machines.

Is there a way to build the packages without the library dependencies they
need? That is, is there a way to specify to gcc/g++ or ld, the name of the
library and symbols it would need without the actual library?

Regards,
Colin