Re: problems building gcc-4.3.5-1 on AIX 6.1 with pthreads

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 4:17 AM, Jędrzej Dudkiewicz
> <jedrzej.dudkiewicz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Binutils does not work correctly on AIX 5, AIX 6 or AIX 7.  Do not use
>>> it.  Do not set extra options about which as and ld to use.  Simply
>>> ensure that /opt/freeware/bin/as and .../ld are not in your patch.
>>
>> Does it mean that there is no way whatsoever to build cross-compiler
>> for AIX? No Linux->AIX, Solaris->AIX, nothing?
>
> Binutils works for AIX 4.3.3 and possibly AIX 5.1.  Unfortunately, it
> has not been updated and creates incorrect object files when used on
> later releases of AIX.

Great news! I were able to build Solaris -> AIX 4.3.3 crosscompiler,
but only C works, I were unable to make C++ work and, unfortunately,
never got any response when I asked here, so I assumed that such build
wasn't even considered work. But I'll try again, just let me find my
old post(s).

> My advice is tell IBM sales people that this feature and functionality
> is necessary.  IBM responds to customers and ISVs.  If they tell IBM
> GNU Binutils and cross-compilation is important for business, IBM will
> take action.

Unfortunately I'm in no position to make such requests and formalities
required for doing so will take forever, so I'd rather try different
approach (namely - asking here).

>> Does it mean that my binaries with static libgcc and libstdc++ (custom
>> gcc build, so "static" library does not contain .so) work purely by
>> chance? Or are you writing about newest gcc versions?
>
> It depends what C++ features you use and how the libraries are built.
> Building completely static archive libraries may work.  The other
> approach is build normal (shared) libraries but statically link them.
> The problem is throwing exceptions across library boundaries because
> one can end up with separate copies of the EH data structures.
>
> Newer versions of GCC should automatically link with libsupc++ for
> static linking to resolve at least that part of the problem.

Ok, thanks. I think I understand what you mean, but I'll have to try
doing it in practice.
--
Jędrzej Dudkiewicz

I really hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it.