Re: problems building gcc-4.3.5-1 on AIX 6.1 with pthreads

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 4:17 AM, Jędrzej Dudkiewicz
<jedrzej.dudkiewicz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Binutils does not work correctly on AIX 5, AIX 6 or AIX 7.  Do not use
>> it.  Do not set extra options about which as and ld to use.  Simply
>> ensure that /opt/freeware/bin/as and .../ld are not in your patch.
>
> Does it mean that there is no way whatsoever to build cross-compiler
> for AIX? No Linux->AIX, Solaris->AIX, nothing?

Binutils works for AIX 4.3.3 and possibly AIX 5.1.  Unfortunately, it
has not been updated and creates incorrect object files when used on
later releases of AIX.

My advice is tell IBM sales people that this feature and functionality
is necessary.  IBM responds to customers and ISVs.  If they tell IBM
GNU Binutils and cross-compilation is important for business, IBM will
take action.

> Does it mean that my binaries with static libgcc and libstdc++ (custom
> gcc build, so "static" library does not contain .so) work purely by
> chance? Or are you writing about newest gcc versions?

It depends what C++ features you use and how the libraries are built.
Building completely static archive libraries may work.  The other
approach is build normal (shared) libraries but statically link them.
The problem is throwing exceptions across library boundaries because
one can end up with separate copies of the EH data structures.

Newer versions of GCC should automatically link with libsupc++ for
static linking to resolve at least that part of the problem.

- David