Re: Which GUI IDE &/or Framework for newbie C/C++ Windows Dev?

On 05/03/2012 05:10, Mel_3 wrote:

David, thanks for sharing your comments about ide's for gcc.

BTW,  i meant gcc when i typed vcc...  Woops.

Good. I was afraid for a moment that you were mixing some other compiler into this.

I posted here because i was hopeful of getting gcc users opinions.

The only two likely outcomes are either almost no helpful data, or a emacs vs. vim religious war...

Personally, I work mostly with embedded systems rather than Windows or Linux programming. And for most embedded development, the standard IDE these days is Eclipse. I also do a lot of my development without an IDE, but with a simpler editor (such as gedit on Linux, or Crimson Editor on Windows, or nano via the command line), and I mostly use my own makefiles rather than the project builder in Eclipse or other IDEs.

Look at:

<http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/List_of_Integrated_Development_Environments>

If I were looking for an IDE and a cross-platform toolkit, I would start with either Code::Blocks or CodeLite. Try them out, and see how you get on.

If i posted on any of the ide sites they would all be fans of that ide...

I dont mind setting up a linux box for gcc dev but is that the way to dev a
windows app?

It is quite possible to work under one environment and compile for several. But it makes sense to develop mostly using the environment you are mainly targeting, as it makes testing easier. Linux is generally easier for a lot of development work, but with some effort (and an msys installation for command-line utilities), Windows can be made to look enough like an OS that it can be used for real work.

Thanks again for ur help.

("ur" is spelt "your", and "I" has a capital letter in English. Programming languages are fussy about such details, and so are many programmers!)

Don't forget that C and C++ are completely different languages, which just happen to share a sizeable common subset. To get the best from them, you have to think in different ways.

Enjoy learning C++.

mvh,.

David