Re: Building a cross compiler, and unsure about the use of --without-headers

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That 'sys-include' nuisance was told just like what it means to
> use the '--with-headers=' to copy the generic newlib headers
> there and then leave them there after the GCC and newlib installations.
> That the copied headers will be found before the final installed
> newlib headers :(  If one tolerates this feature/bug and makes
> the necessary workarounds :
>
>  - copies or symlinks the generic headers to be seen in 'sys-include'
>   during the GCC build
>  - removes the headers from the 'sys-include' after the 'make install'
>   if they were copied there before the GCC build
>
> then the 1-stage build process should work nicely!

It does! :-)

And in fact, after some more trials, it looks like the copying /
linking to "sys-include" isn't needed any more.  The version of GCC
I'm working with (4.5.2) has no reference to that directory in the
Makefile (I mentioned that in my post of 18/03 @ 10:39) and skipping
that step, and not creating "sys-include" at all, produces a working
system - or at least it compiles and links code, I haven't tested the
results on real hardware yet...

The last link in your other post :-

> The following describes the "only one stage" build idea :
>
> http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/CrossGcc

also misses that step.

Progress at last, and perhaps I'm beginning to tame the savage beast
that is GCC :-)

Cheers,

David