Re: Building a cross compiler, and unsure about the use of --without-headers

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 16.3.2011 19:22, David Paterson kirjoitti:
>
>> Would it work with adding Binutils as well?
>
> The binutils sources aren't in sync with GCC sources. This has been
> discussed recently on this list. Building also GDB separately is the
> assumtion, trying to combine the sources may succeed but it would
> be much easier to keep them as separately updated components in a
> crosstoolchain. Generally the first build time is only a special
> "bootstrap" case and later one just updates the components GCC,
> binutils, GDB and newlib one at a time instead of starting everything
> from scratch again...

OK, that makes sense.  I can pretty much keep gmp, mpfr, mpc and
binutils as a single build step, as they'll only need updated if /
when I get new sources.  GDB can also be built as needed.

> So, with its defaults the 'sparc-elf' target toolchain doesn't produce
> executables for something... And it looks like C and C++ are fine but
> other languages may be problematic without extra patches to the sources
> or manual intervention during the build, for instance editing the
> 'specs' file for '*endfile' to include some linker script for some
> real board/monitor. There seemed to be support for 'cygmon' in libgloss.

It was more a theoretical question than a real one, as I'm not
planning on using either Fortran or Ada, just interested in how the
configure and build process works and whether they could be included.
It's quite a few years since I did any Fortran, and I've never even
tried Ada...

I'm currently rebuilding using the methods you recommended, and so far
it's working fine... :-)

Thanks for the help,

David