Re: building native cross compiler

Are you really
seriously trying to reproduce all this glibc, X11, Gnome etc. target
stuff?
What I am trying to do is produce (i.e. compile from source) a pre-selected software bundle to a pre-defined target arch without using the various distributors binaries. I know I could easily grab some random binary toolchain, copy it to my temporary sysroot and just start the building process (hell, I could even use kickstart), but that is not what I am after.

Can one simply copy these from some existing "similar" (to
the becoming target) system?
As I already pointed out - that is not an option for me.

  Or is that "heretic"?  Is one allowed to
use the existing native GCC to produce the GCC1?
Yes, that is precisely how I plan to do it - GCC1 will be bootstrapped and properly tested and used as a base to build GCC2 and then the rest of the software image.

So the BIG question is : "Are you allowed to produce a complete and
working GCC2 which has a prebuilt temporary glibc as the target glibc
in some stage?" The process would be :

1. make binutils for the target
2. copy a temporary glibc for the target
Step 2 above is not an option.

3. make GCC for the target
4. make the final glibc for the target with the step 3 GCC and
   overwrite the temporary glibc

Trying to avoid the step 2 in a LFS case although the GCC build
expects the target C library being already there, is just what
the "crosstool" process is for... And is equivalent to the problem
"Can I borrow a knife from a neighbour or buy a knife if I want to
make my own self-made knife?" Producing the wooden handle for the
knife without a knife could sound quite hard :(
Well, if it was easy I won't be coming on this mailing list asking for help, would I? ;-)

I am sure this has come up before (not just on this mailing list), so a solution simply *must* exist. I am currently looking through the crosstool scripts to see whether I could use something from them to resolve this.