Re: building native cross compiler

Michael Zintakis <michael.zintakis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Where do I get these as I did check the gcc web site, but could not
>>> find them anywhere (apologies for this daft request!)
>>>

>> http://sourceware.org/binutils/
>>
> Thanks! Downloaded along with mpfr, ppl-0.11.2 (configure said that my
> existing version is "buggy" :-) ) and cloog-ppl-0.15.9.
>
> If I dump mpfr, ppl and cloog-ppl in the main gcc source directory
> (and name those directories like that - "mpfr", "ppl" and "cloog-ppl")
> would that be enough for the GCC build or do I have to compile/install
> them separately?

As far as I know that is fine.  I haven't done much with PPL myself.

> If I copy binutils sources to the main gcc source directory what would
> be the sign that they are incompatible - the same error as I was
> getting before (line 83 etc)?

No, the errors are much more subtle.  I really can't encourage this
unless you are prepared to investigate and solve problems yourself.

>>> I did and it refers to the three libraries I have (although as sources
>>> in the GCC source directory) or have I missed something?
>>>

>> What do you see in the config.log file?
>>
> The same one I was getting with the ppc target - line 83 etc etc.

I'm sorry, I don't recall what that was.  If it's a missing 'as' file
then the simple answer is still going to be to install the binutils.  At
one time gcc would fall back to running 'as' even for a cross-compiler,
but perhaps that is no longer the case.

Ian