Re: building native cross compiler

Where do I get these as I did check the gcc web site, but could not
find them anywhere (apologies for this daft request!)

http://sourceware.org/binutils/
Thanks! Downloaded along with mpfr, ppl-0.11.2 (configure said that my existing version is "buggy" :-) ) and cloog-ppl-0.15.9.

If I dump mpfr, ppl and cloog-ppl in the main gcc source directory (and name those directories like that - "mpfr", "ppl" and "cloog-ppl") would that be enough for the GCC build or do I have to compile/install them separately?

  However, this only works if the shared directories such as
include and libiberty are exactly matched, which means in practice that
you need to be working with development sources rather than releases, or
you need to understand the code in sufficient detail to address the
conflicts which occur.
OK, if I get binutils and gcc sources I presume if I run diff on both
directories for all 3 packages and they match then I am OK and I could
then dump all sources in the main gcc source directory and issue make,
is that right?

In principle, yes.
The copy of binutils is for version 2.21, my gcc version is 4.5.2, so I will check their corresponding include/ and libiberty directories with the ones of the gcc version I have. Quick look tells me that (at least) the include directory in binutils is very different (it has a lot of subdirectories) from the one in gcc-4.5.2/include.

If I copy binutils sources to the main gcc source directory what would be the sign that they are incompatible - the same error as I was getting before (line 83 etc)?

The strange thing is that my host machine GCC already has i686 and
x86_64 binutils installed (though as a "ready-made" package - I
haven't compiled this from source so can't vouch for the correctness
of these packages) and when I attempted to build GCC2 with
"--target=i686-redhat-linux" it also failed! I know the host GCC on
that machine works as I also do compilation for boh x86_64 and i686
arches successfully. Maybe I am missing something else.
Read the FAQ entry I mentioned.
I did and it refers to the three libraries I have (although as sources
in the GCC source directory) or have I missed something?

What do you see in the config.log file?
The same one I was getting with the ppc target - line 83 etc etc.

MZ