Re: building native cross compiler

I see ar, ranlib and strip have been picked up from the binutils
directory though the error is exactly the same as before - line 83
exec not found (what exec id doesn't say). So, I presume I have to
build binutils first and place the executables in prefix/target/bin,
right?

Yes, which should happen automatically if you configure the binutils
with the identical --target and --prefix options that you use when you
configure gcc.  When you run "make; make install" the binutils should be
installed where gcc expects to find them.
I have just noticed one other intriguing thing - this is the end of the output from configure:

checking where to find the target ar... just compiled
checking where to find the target as... pre-installed
checking where to find the target cc... just compiled
checking where to find the target c++... just compiled
checking where to find the target c++ for libstdc++... just compiled
checking where to find the target dlltool... just compiled
checking where to find the target gcc... just compiled
checking where to find the target gcj... pre-installed
checking where to find the target gfortran... just compiled
checking where to find the target ld... pre-installed
checking where to find the target lipo... pre-installed
checking where to find the target nm... just compiled
checking where to find the target objdump... just compiled
checking where to find the target ranlib... just compiled
checking where to find the target strip... just compiled
checking where to find the target windres... just compiled
checking where to find the target windmc... just compiled

I presume 'just compiled' means that gcc will compile these and 'pre-installed' means the executables on the host system will be used.

If that is the case then 'as' (the one executable which is the reason for the line 83 error I am getting) is listed as 'pre-installed' and that should be 'just-complied' because the 'as' executable on my system can't handle the ppc target ('as' from the compiled binutils should be used instead, right?). I am not sure whether the same should go for ld, lipo and gcj (although gcj - gc java - is disabled so it won't matter I think), what do you think Ian.