Re: installed directory important (--prefix=)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> kevin diggs <diggskevin38@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Since I am having difficulty getting 4.3.5 to ... cooperate. Can I do
>> a non-profiled build of ada. Install it to a directory. Then do a
>> profiled build of everything else and install it to the same place and
>> not have chaos ensue?
>
> I would expect it to work, but it's not like I've tried it.

Based on your comment below, are you saying that the 'new' gcc will
not be able to compile ada?

>> If I do a build with enable-languages=ada and then install it will it
>> overwrite an existing C in the same prefix? (In other words what order
>> should I do these installs?)
>
> It will overwrite the gcc binary itself.  That doesn't matter much
> unless you use "gcc" to compile code which is not in C, rather than
> using, say, "g++" or "gfortran".

Ok, I think I am a little confused. I guess you are saying here that
gcc stands for gnu compiler collection and not C. I always considered
it the 'C' driver. It looks like your are saying it is a generic
driver. Also, is the languages that gcc (the 'driver') understands
determined at compile time? If so, that will be a problem.

Playing one of those word games is it true that gnat is to Ada like
g++ is to c++? If so, using the appropriate switches can I compile C
with gnat?

kevin