Re: GCC 4.5.1: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile

"Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> IMHO, it would be very sensible if gcc had an option to configure such
> that the location of the run-time libraries was hard-coded in. Then,
> as long as "gcc" is in the path, the libraries would be found.
>
> This issue seems to come up time and time again. Some think that's a
> bad idea -
> but I think giving people the choice with an option to configure would
> be a good idea.
>
> I've tried arguing for this on the gcc bug database, but I've never got anywhere.

It is a design goal that gcc always be able to find its libraries if you
move the installation tree as a whole.  Your proposal would provide a
different functionality: you would be able to move the gcc binary by
itself, without moving the runtime libraries, and it would work.  But
you can already do that by using a one line shell script to invoke the
installed gcc.  So this does not seem to me like a useful feature to add
to the gcc sources.

Ian