Re: GCC 4.5.1: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile

2.9.2010 5:13, Tom Browder kirjoitti:

Then make a build directory OUTSIDE the source tree.

   $ cd ..                 # it is STRONGLY recommended NOT to build in
the source tree
   $ mkdir objdir
   $ cd objdir
   $ ../gcc-4.5.1/configure ......
   make.....

Using a 'build' directory in the main SRC directory has been my habit
for years for everything: GCC, binutils, GDB, mpfr, gmp,..., and it has NEVER caused any problems. Doing what you say would mean creating a
separate outside 'build' directory for each SRC package because one
can never say which sources would be built one day at the same time :(

Generally the build process going into the parent directory ('..') of
the 'build' directory and doing something unexpected there would be a
serious BUG in the build process. What if one has subdirectories like
'gcc', 'newlib', 'mpfr', 'gmp', 'binutils',..., there too although it
isn't any real source directory? What one is allowed to have in the
'objdir/..' and what not, that should be at least be told!

So this issue is one in the group "People are like chaff in the wind,
the more there are people who believe in something, the easier it is
to get more to believe it being true!" It is really bad that most
people belong to this 'chaff', going where the wind takes them :(

Several people have told that "it is not allowed to build in a subdir
of the main SRC tree" but I have never believed this, instead used my
own brains, my IQ, and capability to think logically, "Compared with others, your logical ability is very high. This means that you are an extremely logical person.", told one test and that what I have always
been, "opinionated dissident"...