Re: GCC 4.5.1: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 01:46, Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2.9.2010 5:13, Tom Browder kirjoitti:
# it is STRONGLY recommended NOT to build in the source tree
>> the source tree
>>   $ mkdir objdir
>>   $ cd objdir
>>   $ ../gcc-4.5.1/configure ......
>>   make.....
>
> Using a 'build' directory in the main SRC directory has been my habit
> for years for everything: GCC, binutils, GDB, mpfr, gmp,..., and it has
> NEVER caused any problems. Doing what you say would mean creating a

You are entitled to your opinion, but the GCC instructions say:

First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory
from the sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is
how we generally build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir should
still work, but doesn't get extensive testing; building where objdir
is a subdirectory of srcdir is unsupported.

The point is that doing so is unsupported and one of the first things
people are told when having problems is to get the build out of the
source tree.

> Several people have told that "it is not allowed to build in a subdir

Not "not allowed" but "not supported."

> of the main SRC tree" but I have never believed this, instead used my
> own brains, my IQ, and capability to think logically, "Compared with others,
> your logical ability is very high. This means that you are an extremely
> logical person.", told one test and that what I have always
> been, "opinionated dissident"...

My question to you is: why is it important to you to do it inside
instead of outside the tree?

The gcc build process is complex and can be fragile.  I think it's
best to eliminate possible causes of problems before hand when helping
debug a gcc build problem--and so do many  others.

Regards,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida