Re: _mm_malloc()

On 4/15/2010 10:09 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
nibbs22@xxxxxxx writes:

I thought I was guaranteed to have  _mm_malloc return array addresses
that are aligned to 16 bytes
and that the compiler would recognize this.
The first is true.  The second is currently not.  That is a bug in the
compiler and/or the support library.

I suppose it's preferable to use malloc() on 64-bit platforms where it gives 16-byte aligned addresses, as _mm_malloc has portability issues even among targets where it's expected to be present. So, I personally wouldn't complain about the compiler not recognizing special properties of _mm_malloc() and near synonyms for targets where malloc() doesn't properly support objects of more than 64 bits (32 bits in a well known case). I couldn't elicit information from OP as to whether this was a 32- or 64-bit target, knowledge needed to comment on more than one of the questions asked.

--
Tim Prince