Are bugs correlated to compiler warnings ?

It seems a natural assumption to me that software that generates lots
of compiler warnings from gcc is likely to be more buggy than software
which does not. My 'gut feeling' is that if a developer has taken the
trouble to write code that does not generate compiler warnings, he has
probably taken care of other parts of his software too.

But is anyone aware of any published literature proving this fact? We
might all suspect/guess it's true, but that is not proof.

I found this article:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/317x276846767585/

"Empirical analysis on the correlation between GCC compiler warnings
and revision numbers of source files in five industrial software
projects"

I can't actually read it without paying, but part of the abstract says
"We use such correlation to conclude that compiler warnings may be
used as an indicator for the presence of software defects in source
code. "

Dave