Re: Are bugs correlated to compiler warnings ?

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> It seems a natural assumption to me that software that generates lots
> of compiler warnings from gcc is likely to be more buggy than software
> which does not. My 'gut feeling' is that if a developer has taken the
> trouble to write code that does not generate compiler warnings, he has
> probably taken care of other parts of his software too.
>
> But is anyone aware of any published literature proving this fact? We
> might all suspect/guess it's true, but that is not proof.

Proof is a tall order.  I recall reading of a study some years ago that
reached a conclusion along the lines of this -- that large numbers of unused
variables were an indicator of buggy code.  I don't recall offhand where I
saw this; perhaps in one of Gerald Weinberg's books (I've read a few of them
and found them excellent).  Sorry I can't be more specific.  The study
probably wasn't specifically about GCC.

Sincerely,
   John Boncek