heap fragmentation & operator new

Hi all,

We have some complaints from our users that if we do not use malloc/realloc/free inside our container class, and rather we use operator new/delete, that we have heap fragmentation problem that leads to their running out of memory. We have evidence that its true and additionally we see that additionally realloc gives performance advantage. Is there anything we can do to actively combat heap fragmentation when using new/delete? We already do the simple things like double the current size of the container if we need to extend. Can we tell the heap to de-fragment itself somehow? Are there any tools for dynamically observing the state of the heap? Are we "shooting our selves in the foot"(in terms of running out of memory) by using malloc and new together in the same library? Are there any must read books/documents that I should have read on this topic?

thanks in advance
Burlen