RE: Wrong assembler used with gcc 4.3.0 on Solaris 9

> Thanks Dennis.
>
> It looks like I've finally got it.   Like I mentioned earlier, setting
> the value of GCC_EXEC_PREFIX before running gcc seems to fix the
> problem.  The previous value pointed to the place where the GCC 2.95.2
> and binutils 2.11 version existed.  I change it to point to where the
> 4.2.0 and 2.17 (respectively) versions are installed and the compiles
> works.
>
> I was able to do the same upgrade under Linux with no real problems.
> But Solaris was a nightmare.  My background is in big iron (IBM)
> operating systems and WinTel and I'm still "getting a handle on" unix.
> There is obviously a lot of lore I don't know.  As with most things, you
> have to know what you are looking for before you can look for it.  I
> didn't know that under certain circumstances that an environment
> variable would control/override where GCC looks for "things".

I can relate. I really can. For about a decade I have been bootstrapping GCC
and in all that time I have *never* ever seen it pass its own testsuites.
The problems are always related to Fortran or some bit in the GCC compiler
that isn't just right or some dependency or some tweak of an environment
variable. Sometimes the bootstrap process can go on for days and days only
to see a failure.  Quite maddening.

I find that the Linux From Scratch project is probably the best place around
to look at open source in the Linux world. It allows you to build pretty
much everything yourself step by step and it is very educational. Of course
.. even in that project you will not get a clean testsuite report on a
number of things and it may leave you with a bitter aftertaste about open
source. Look at OpenSolaris for the UNIX version and I know of a few places
that document *that* build process. Not with GCC. I always remember that
closed source proprietary stuff is often full of bugs and we don't get to
see them. We just have to live with them.

Solaris is possibly the best place to play with UNIX but you will run into
different things. I don't know what the utopia is and even if we, as a
global user base, are even heading towards some sort of perfectly working
solution. Maybe the journey is the goal afterall.

Dennis