RE: Wrong assembler used with gcc 4.3.0 on Solaris 9

Thanks Dennis.

It looks like I've finally got it.   Like I mentioned earlier, setting
the value of GCC_EXEC_PREFIX before running gcc seems to fix the
problem.  The previous value pointed to the place where the GCC 2.95.2
and binutils 2.11 version existed.  I change it to point to where the
4.2.0 and 2.17 (respectively) versions are installed and the compiles
works.

I was able to do the same upgrade under Linux with no real problems.
But Solaris was a nightmare.  My background is in big iron (IBM)
operating systems and WinTel and I'm still "getting a handle on" unix.
There is obviously a lot of lore I don't know.  As with most things, you
have to know what you are looking for before you can look for it.  I
didn't know that under certain circumstances that an environment
variable would control/override where GCC looks for "things".

Thanks

John Morrison
Printronix, Inc