Re: error installing previous gcc version

D'arito writes:

 > HI Folks,
 > I need to "undergrade" my gcc version that comes with openSuse
 > 10.2. Well the default version is gcc version 4.1.2 20061115
 > (prerelease) (SUSE Linux).  I do really need the old version,
 > because my "mentor" told me my code compiles properly with
 > gcc-3.3.3 ( just I need to compile using a static library called
 > libESP.a) . So I decided to install a previous version in order to
 > avoid modify the libESP.a , cause I thought it was harder than
 > install another compiler version.
 >
 > After reading in forums, asking buddies, and losing a lot of time(
 > I know that's the way sometimes) I couldn't install gcc-3.3.3 yet !
 > It's so annoying. I just claim for help .
 >
 > I've achieved to run the configure script in a gcc-build directory, but I
 > got an error withing the make. :
 > ../../gcc-3.3.3/gcc/read-rtl.c: In function ?read_rtx?:
 > ../../gcc-3.3.3/gcc/read-rtl.c:653: error: invalid lvalue in increment
 > make[1]: *** [read-rtl.o] Error 1
 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gcc3/gcc-build/gcc'
 > make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
 >

 > I've also tried by using rpms without success too...
 >
 > Feel free to ask me for important data , kie logs or whatever you need.
 >
 > I'm able to establish a VNC session if anyone have time to help me online.
 > thanks a lot , I would appreciate your interest so much !!

OK.  I can see your problem: you have nonstandard code that gcc won't
compile any more, so you want an old gcc that will compile it.  But the
new gcc won't compile the old gcc either.

I'm guessing that the problem here is that old gcc uses what's known
as an "lvalue cast", which is a language feature that has been removed
from gcc.  It's possible to fix the gcc source so that it doesn't use
an lvalue cast, or it's possible to fix your own code so that it
compiles with a modern gcc.  I'd do the latter.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903