Installing GNU G++ compiler on Mac OS

Hello,

I'm a brand new Mac user, and found that I need to
install the gcc compiler on my machine, since typing
"man gcc" always gives "No manual entry for gcc".

I found the various gnu and mirror sites for ftp'ing
gcc, however I'm not sure exactly which file(s) I
should ftp over for G++.

Under /gnu/gcc-4.2.0 I see there are 2 files for g++:
gcc-g++-4.2.0.tar.bz2
gcc-g++-4.2.0.tar.bz2.sig

Do I need both the above files for developing in C++?

Also, the g++.README mentions to get the
libstdc++-2.n.tar.gz file as well.  Should I take it
from the /libg++ directory, and which 2.8 file do I
take?

Also, what graphical IDE do you recommend to do
development on the Mac?  Is XCode suitable?

Thanks for your help,

Parvathi Kumar

http://sims.yahoo.com/