Friendly gcc hacker needed

I want to put some trivial code into the prologue of gcc (actually
g++) compiled code.

Reverse engineering the relevant file is, er, a bit tedious, and
gcc won't build if I insert some testing code that makes it generate
bad code (yes, I disabled the three-stage build), so I shall have
to get it largely right first time.

Is anyone familiar enough with this to help?  What I want to do is
to generate the equivalent of the following, preferably tuned to
use only offsets from fixed registers:

    if (%sp < __stack_limit) __stack_trap();

This SHOULD be possible for two executed instructions in the normal
case, and four generated instructions in all, but I can live with
slower code for now.

Examples of how to generate suitable instructions and so on are all
I really need, or pointers to where I can look that up.  Almost all
the sources I have found are assuming that you are prepared to spend
a lot of timing learning how to do a full porting job.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1@xxxxxxxxx
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679