RE: gcc and graphics ?

Hi Walter,

In addition to the the aforementioned GTK+, Qt, and wxWindows...

There is OpenGL <http://www.opengl.org/>.  A general purpose very powerful graphics library.

There is SDL <http://www.libsdl.org/>.  Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer.

There is SpriteWorld <http://www.spriteworld.org/>.  An animation library intended to support games, but could be utilized for other non-game-writing purposes.

Of the ones I have some familiarity, I recommend SDL.

I'm personally not familiar with GTK+, Qt, and wxWindows.  My co-workers who have at least some familiarity with them, speak highly of them.

If you were looking just at MS-Windows, I'd still recommend SDL, rather than DirectDraw or GDI or GDI+ or Vista's WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation, codenamed "Avalon").  Or WinG (*cough*, yes, I programmed in WinG once upon a time).

HTH,
--Eljay