Fw: Cross Compile Gcc

none none wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I have this very peculiar error when I try to make gcc for cross compilation with target a powerpc on my Ubuntu 7.0.4 box. I keep getting the error:
>

> make[2]: powerpc-linux-ar: Command not found
>
> make[2]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 127
>
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/powerpc/build-gcc/gcc'
>
> make[1]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/powerpc/build-gcc/gcc'
>
> make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
>

> The thing is that I have already build binutils 2.16 and 2.17 and I have tried with gcc 4.1.0 and 4.1.2 (and  some older versions as well, 3.3.2 etc).
>

> I configure binutils with the command:
>

> /home/idipous/Desktop/binutils-2.16/configure --target=powerpc-linux --prefix=/opt/powerpc
>

> and
>

> sudo make all install
>

> and then I export  the path with the command:
>

> export PATH=$PATH:/opt/powerpc/bin
>

> I configure gcc with the command:
>

> sudo /home/idipous/Desktop/gcc-4.1.0/configure --target=powerpc-linux --prefix=/opt/powerpc/ --disable-shared --disable-threads --enable-languages=c --with-newlib
>

> and then
>

> sudo make all-gcc install-gcc
>

> This error I expected to have it in case I forgot to export the path in which the powerpc-linux-ar was in. But this is in the /opt/powerpc/bin.
>

> It is driving me nuts. With older versions of gcc I have the same error with powerpc-linux-ranlib.
>

> Any ideas?

Well you say your target is powerpc-linux, but you also say
--with-newlib.  Is that really correct?  I do similar mips builds all
the time without problem, but I also specify --with-sysroot= so that the
  system libraries and header files are found.

If you are trying to bootstrap a toolchain, you might give Crosstool a
try.  It takes care of specifying all the fiddly options needed to
bootstrap a toolchain.

David Daney