Re: Is fixinclude needed on modern systems?

NightStrike wrote:
On 2/27/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> An easy recent example is that gcc's handling of "extern inline"
> changed in -std=c99 mode, and fixincludes changes glibc's uses of
> "extern inline" accordingly.

What does fixincludes actually do?

I don't know if you're trying to wear out your welcome, or if I'll do the same to mine by attempting to reply. My paraphrase: fixincludes puts sanitized (closer to standard C) versions of include files on the private path of the gcc which you build (and possibly install). So you get for free these fixups so that a correct application will build correctly with your new gcc, in spite of semi-broken headers supplied by your installed environment.
In addition to permitting gcc to build correctly on that environment.