Is fixinclude needed on modern systems?

Hi,
I've been working on building a few crosscompilers lately, and since 4.1.2
release I've now started getting errors with fixinclude target (probably
unrelated), so I've started looking up the need for this, and I've started
wondering if it is still needed on modern systems.

In Gentoo, for instance, the header "fixed" by fixinclude -- that also changes
around some stuff in comments, which is quite silly by its own -- are already
being removed, because leaving them there can create quite a bit of problems,
as the headers would be left there even if the libraries the original came
from are removed or upgraded.

For what I can see, most of the headers are currently changed to replace the
macro "linux" into "__linux__" (actually it seems just to run a blind sed
over the files, as also comments left there for emacs like /* -*- linux-c -*-
*/ are changed), as well as "unix" into "__unix__" and so on.

For what I can see, fixinclude would make sense if you were to have gcc
installed in a different prefix than your system packages (but most Linux
distributions use /usr for both core system and misc packages) and even then
mostly for very old systems, or a few proprietary system. Am I mistaken on
this?

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/