Re: "virtual memory exhausted: Out of memory" with a large static array

Pavel Saviankou wrote:
Dear, Michael,

First, I do understand.

Second, if you send a post to gcc-help, and receive a reply,
continue to include gcc-help in your responses.
I send to gcc-help the question, "why g++ cannot allocate a large array of data, specially 823543 elements (72 byte size)".

in the test i have only 823543*72 bytes (56.383 Mb) .. enough for 32 bit address. the >1Gb data comes later and it is only the reason, why i do it on this way. But the problem is still "g++ cannot allocate and compile a program with even 823543 elements."

You run out of virtual memory space.  If you want help
with operating system issues, then contact the appropriate
mailing list or customer support.

Third, if your problem is with creating very large static
arrays which exceed your memory space, please don't muddy the issue
with your concerns about copying data.  If the problem is copying
data without error, then please don't ask gcc-help to address those.
i didn't ask. I have to answer to you advice.
Expecting a compiler to catch your errors in copying data verges
on foolhardy.  There's no syntactic difference between
   int ar[] = { 1, 2, 3 };
and
   int ar[] = { 10, 20, 30, 40 };
no, such errors
" ...
int ar[] = { 1, 2, 3 };
"
against
"
2nt ar[] = { 1 ,2, 3 };
"

Thank you for your effort to find a different solution of my tast, but not a solution of my quastion.
I don't want to tease you.

Again, reply to gcc-help rather than directly to me.

Some folks want to fix their watches using a hammer.  No matter how
many times they are told that this doesn't work, they insist.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@xxxxxxxxxxxx
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077