mingw help!!!

Hi,

OK, I'm obviously having a hard time getting a relocatable version of
gcc building on mingw. I can successfully build gcc 4.1.1 and svn trunk
on mingw, however, neither of the builds are relocatable and they only
run from --prefix dir.

Now, I want to clear things up, because I've received a lot of
misinformation over the past fews days. That is, information that is
completly contradictory.

If I build gcc on mingw with only --prefix, and without --with-sysroot,
  - should it be relocatable?
  - should it run from a DESTDIR, instead of the prefix dir?

Do I need to use --with-sysroot to get a relocatable version of gcc on
mingw? If so, how does one use --with-sysroot? Do you still have to do
--prefix=/mingw always, and then od --with-sysroot=/pathto/sysroot?
I understand the sysroot dir must be created before the compile. Can I
simply put binutils, w32api and mingw-runtime into it? If so, would this
makes sense,
  mkdir sysroot
  cd sysroot
  tar -zxvf binutils.tar.gz
  tar -zxvf mingw-runtime.tar.gz
  tar -zxvf w32api.tar.gz
I have received information that in the sysroot directory, you have to
put a mingw directory, is this true? if so, what goes in there?

./configure --prefix=/mingw --with-sysroot=/pathto/sysroot
make bootstrap
make DESTDIR=/pathto/destdir install

and then I can run from destdir? or from anywhere else I please?

Sorry, all of this fuss is because I'd like to get a working,
relocatable, gcc on mingw. If the community can help me out, I can make
this release available for mingw. So please help.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi