Re: mingw help!!!

Bob Rossi wrote:
OK, I'm obviously having a hard time getting a relocatable version of
gcc building on mingw.
In my thoughts you have done ONLY two wrong decisions :

1.  building on Windoze/MinGW instead of any sane standard Unix-like system
   (Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD,....)

2. building a native GCC for a system which has never had any native 'cc' to
   mimic

I myself build all my MinGW-hosted stuff on Linux and always produce the
"MinGW-target GCC on the MinGW-host" as a cross GCC !  And maybe there
are many others who almost daily produce MinGW-hosted things but not on the
final clumsy runtime system. And when being much, much more familiar with
cross GCCs, they only produce cross GCCs for each runtime platform, never
any weird very host-specific "native" ones....

A cross GCC MUST be relocatable!  A native GCC never needs to be that!

BTW, how many has ever tried to "relocate" a prebuilt native GCC for Linux?
After one try one is much wiser and builds the next "native GCC" to follow the "cross GCC" install scheme by configuring it for a different $target from the $host.... Then one is free to use the '--with-sysroot=' etc. new "features" aimed
for cross GCCs.

I myself am just now producing the "gcc version 4.1.2 20061215 (prerelease)" for the MinGW-host on Linux... Totally "just for a fun", for pure curiousity...