Re: how to make code stay invariant

I would strongly recommend to read the released books TAOCP of D.E.Knuth (The
Art of Computer Programming) and other works of him and his students.

He describes and has always cared about the ability to prove a computer
algorithm mathematically.  I think besides his own MMIX language, C is an
excellent language to write algortithms that hold mathematical validations,
since C is well defined and so are most parts of libc.

I think this is the only approach to algorithms that are really invariant.
There is now "external" tool to test "internal" invariance of algorithms
since this would mean to test an algorithm with all conditions that  could
ever appear.

The checksum approach isn't quite usefull I think, since algorithms are and
should be changed by hand and communication between developers should be done
as direct as possible.  If you introduce checksums, you provide a tools that
simulates stability where there is none.  There is no fire and forget
algorithm that you haven't develeoped and documented quite well.