Re: make install prefix=XXX to different prefix gives errors using gcc-4_1-branch

Brian Dessent wrote:
Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

Actually, I'm writing an installation script that automatically
downloads/compiles/installs gcc-4.1 from SVN.  And the same location
(/usr/local/gcc) is also holding or is going to hold other versions of gcc
(4.0.2, 2.95.3) and I want them all to co-exist as gcc-2.95.3, g++-4.1.0, etc.
 I rename the files from the DESTDIR/bin/XXX to /usr/local/gcc/bin/XXX-4.1.0
etc., and do the same with the man pages so they can co-exist with other
versions (so I know which compiler takes which flags, etc.)  I'd rather not do
a straight make install and then rename/delete in the target directory - too
messy. I'd rather just copy across the files I need.

If that is your goal then you should set --prefix to the same for all of
them, forget DESTDIR, and use --program-suffix or
--program-transform-name in concert with
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs.  Work with the grain of the
build system instead of against it.

The distro I use, Gentoo, does this 'install into a separate place to what you told configure you would' for EVERY package it uses - so it is a standard feature, and I am not working against the grain.

As I also said, I don't want to mess around with renaming and deleting stuff inside my target directory, so I won't be doing that.

BTW this will still not allow versioned info files, but this can be
fixed easily with a patch.  There is one in the debian gcc patchset
called "rename-info-files" that does just this.

I have no need for info files, but thanks anyway. I hate the bloody things - up with man, down with info!

Thanks,
       Asfand Yar

--
To reply, take of all ZIGs !!