Re: make install prefix=XXX to different prefix gives errors using gcc-4_1-branch

Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

> So do I, but installing to a different location to where the package was
> configured for is a feature that the GCC build system supports.  I've used
> specifying a different prefix= argument to make to what I supplied in
> configure many times, so therefore this is a bug.

But the correct way to do this is not to override "prefix", but to
specify DESTDIR.  But note this should only be used for e.g. making a
binary package.  It probably would fail in strange ways if you actually
tried to use the resulting binaries in their DESTDIR location, instead
of just tarring them up or whatever.

/path/to/configure --prefix=/desired/prefix
make
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/foobar

Brian