Re: Gcov parallel usage question

Lee Moore wrote:
Hi Nathan,

I hope you don't mind me contacting you directly, but I saw a posting you made regarding gcov. Do you know if it is OK to run programs instrumented with gcov in parallel ?

gcov instrumentation is multi-process safe, but not multi-thread safe. The multi-processing safety relies on OS level file locking, which is not available on some systems.

My suspicion is this may cause a problem, basically for regression testing purposes I need to run the same program many times, but I have seen messages to the effect of "Invocation mismatch ...", followed by references to the .gcda files.

If it is not possible to run in parallel, is there an 'hack' to perform merges of .gcda files or anything like that you are aware of ?

gcov itself merges data.

nathan

nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    ::     http://www.planetfall.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk