internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

I keep getting this error when attempting to compile cvs emacs, or any other
large project.

Small ones seem to build okay, but that might be coincidence.  It seems
somehow to be related include file space, if such a thing exists.

I'm using Mandrake Linux, and gcc 3.4.3.

Some directions please, on where do I start to figure out how to solve this
problem?

Dave in Largo, FL