RE: Problem Building 32-bit gcc native compiler

Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:

> I've had good luck using GNU as and GNU ld whenever I've used GNU's
> GCC.
>
> I've never tried *not* using GNU as and GNU ld (and GNU make, GNU
> bison, yada yada yada).

I'm a bit out of touch because our HP test box has been offline for a few
years.

I think certainly on HP-UX 10 you should be using GNU as or you don't get
any debug information built. On HP-UX 11 I think that's been fixed although
it looks like you've still got a choice between the native assembler and
having to ignore the bootstrap comparison or just using the GNU assembler
instead. I don't think you have any choice with the linker though: the GNU
linker doesn't (or didn't) support HP's executable format so you have to use
the native one.