RE: Strange shifting behaviour

Hi John,

>It depends on whether you want acknowledge the impression that your compiler makes on users who are not language lawyers.

It's not a GCC issue.  The behavior is undefined by the C and C++ standards.

In my opinion, I prefer that the compiler-at-compiler-time didn't perform the "format my hard drive" as the compiler specific undefined behavior that may occur during the executable run of my own program.

But that's just me.  YMMV.

Sincerely,
--Eljay