Re: multimap.clear() does not free its memory

Brian Budge wrote:
If you do a google search for using allocators with STL, there's a
multitude of info. You can tell STL to use the "new allocator" or the
"malloc allocator"...

Looking at 20.4.1.1 par 2 there's a note that says that the allocate member of the allocator uses new. Maybe this is not a strict requirement that _all_ allocators have to use new but at least I would expect the default allocator to use new. Otherwise the behaviour would not be standard conforming IIUC.

though I'm not sure if these are standard or
not. If they're not standard, I believe that stlport has them. Sorry, it's been a while.

The (outdated) SGI STL documentation talks about 'malloc_alloc' and 'single_client_alloc' but the standard apparantly does not mention any other than the default allocator (AFAICT ;-(

thanks already for your helpfull response,
toon